Friday, September 27, 2013

Old Radio

I have a fun trash to treasure post to share today.
When buying several items from a junk yard,
the seller gave me this old radio as a little bonus.
He said "he didn't have the heart to throw it away".
It's a good thing he didn't! 
I love it.
 
BEFORE:
 
AFTER:
 
Yes, it IS the same furniture!
The wood finish seemed nice enough to salvage,
so I opted NOT to paint.
 
I gently tapped out the thin broken face of the radio
with a hammer.  It might make a good template for
another craft someday. It was instantly transformed
from a radio to cute curio shelving!
 
There were about 6 areas of veneer lifting off,
so I consulted YOUTUBE on this issue!
I used a paintbrush to reach glue back in under some of the this
veneer lifted edges.  Wax paper worked great & simply wiping
excess glue off with a damp rag!

 
The shelves had an inch of dust & large holes.
 
 
I cut plywood to fit in each shelf space.
They were sanded & screwed down.
Then I modge podged on scrapbooking paper
that had a yard stick pattern by BoBunny.
This was my best podge podge job ever!
Practice makes perfect, and thick paper helps too!
 
The vintage yardsticks on front were cut to fit each space.
They ensured that no one would see that second level
of plywood shelving!!!

 

 

 
The last step was giving the wood finish a spa treatment!
I used my reliable Daddy Van's furniture polish.
 
Before:
 
After:
 
Much better!
It gives it a nice glow & protective layer.
Amazing...isn't it?
 
Here she is...
all dolled up in my craft booth:

 
Linking up to:
FFF
&

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!! I pinned it to my "Awesome Furniture" board. :)
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too cute! I love it!

    ReplyDelete